SDG 12 – Responsible Consumption and Production
SDG 12 promotes sustainable consumption and production patterns. Achieving this goal requires a strong national framework for sustainable consumption and production that should be integrated into national and sectorial plans, sustainable business practices and consumer behavior. In addition to engaging consumers through awareness-raising and education on sustainable consumption and lifestyles, SDG 12 entails the reduction of resource use, degradation and pollution along the whole lifecycle, while increasing quality of life.
- Project for the Replacement of The Egyptian Electricity Holding Company’s Smart Meters RFP2 for Suez Gulf Electricity Stations: by enhancing the electricity stations, the solution enables the control and monitoring of electricity consumption through the application of smart billing techniques. The project is considered core for the modern power grid that supports modern communities and new growing cities.
- Supply and Installation of the First Fuel Management System for DP World El-Sokhna: with the few implementations of similar systems in Egypt, the risk of oil accumulation in the sea increases. Catering to this growing need, the deployed system monitors the consumption of oil and gas inside the port, while decreasing the likelihood of accidents or misappropriation of fuel resources.
- Installation of Building Management System for Crédit Agricole Bank: as one of the first complete BMS solutions installed in Egypt, the system applied the latest innovative energy saving technologies to ensure continuous monitoring of energy consumption.
- Integration of BMS and Lighting Control System in Qatameya Airport: the airport is considered as a major achievement catering to the new capital. The integration of BMS and lighting control with existing systems is a crucial part of the airport’s sustainable consumption measures.
- Installation of Fire and Gas System at MPC Tank Project in Badr Terminal: the new system is essential for monitoring and controlling gas levels in the field. The project is powered and operated using the most advanced automation technology to guarantee high efficiency and minimize waste.
- Upgrade of HNO3 Unit Control System and Turbine Control System in Attaka, Suez: the upgrade aims to decrease the amounts of industrial drainage while allowing the facility to produce the same output, using fewer levels of raw materials.
- Fab Lab New Cairo & Fab Labs in Governorates: digital fabrication technologies encourage users to become makers and join the maker movement. By spreading awareness of the possibilities of digital fabrication, the fab labs inspire users and communities to become makers rather than consumers.
- Ecochic: is an initiative that tackles the growing concern over the disposal of billboards in landfills, by spreading awareness about the preservation of the environment. Giza Systems Education Foundation partnered with a number of companies encouraging them to join the initiative and donate their billboards. Products were created from the recycling of vinyl billboards to make bags and backpacks. Almost 1,000 student bags were distributed to underprivileged students in marginalized areas in Cairo and Upper Egypt including Nubia, Menia, Beni Suef, Torah, Greater Cairo and Giza governorates. 2,000 re-usable bags were produced for distribution of winter blankets and food supplies to families in need.