SDG 7 – Affordable and Clean Energy
Ensuring access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all is of crucial importance. Energy is vital for all the SDGs from the eradication of poverty through advancements in health, education, water supply and industrialization, to combating climate change. Amongst SDG7 targets is the need for expansion of infrastructure and the upgrading of technology for supplying modern and sustainable energy services for all in developing countries.
- Shabab 1000 MW and Damietta 500 MW Simple Cycle Power Plants: Giza Systems was contracted to implement the necessary DCS systems and relevant infrastructure at the Shabab and Damietta power plants. The turnkey project entailed injecting 1500MW to the Egyptian Grid as part of a national initiative to decrease power leakages, especially during the months of summer.
- Al Shabab 66 KV GIS Substation Extension Project: the scope of this turnkey project was two-fold, as it included an electrical transmission aspect and a civil works aspect. This massive project interconnects Al Shabab combined cycle power plant with the 66 KV grid, which will have a direct impact on the national transmission infrastructure plans.
- Upgrade of Control System for Units 1-6 at Duba Power Plant, KSA: the completion of the upgrade effectively improved the response time of the turbine control system, the black start process, and the generator protection scheme, enhancing the overall turbine performance; thus contributing to sustaining the city power grid.
- Control & Protection System Upgrade for units 1,2 &3 at Al-Wajh Power Plant, KSA:the project involved the upgrade of the control, excitation and protection systems of the gas turbine at Al-Wajh power generation plant. The project resulted in substantial improvement of the turbine performance and efficiency; thus, producing more power for sustaining the power grid.
- Turbine Control Systems Project for Units 23 and 24 at Power Plant #7 (PP7) in Riyadh, KSA: the implemented systems resulted in lowering lifecycle costs and reducing shutdown periods. The revamping of the systems resolved operational issues at the plant in terms of efficiency, reliability, flexibility and environmental compatibility; thereby supporting electricity generation in Riyadh.
- Tanzania Electricity Supply Company (TANESCO) Project: the project consisted in the supply of containerized 11kv switchgears and 33kv Skid Mounted switchgears for MVA transformers. The project supported the efficiency of the network’s electrical substations, further contributing to the transformation of the Tanzanian electricity infrastructure.